Thursday, August 21, 2014

Girls Dream

 photo 20140821035340_IMG_3762.jpgWe began our day by driving to a local orphanage, and were greeted by excited girls, all with big smiles and enthusiastic waves. We were equally as delighted...today was the day the mattresses we fundraised for leading up to the trip were delivered!

We stepped out of our vans and received warm hugs and handshakes. The team began to break into small groups with the girls to do crafts, music, finger nail painting and all things girly! The girls were so eager to do every activity we brought. Unfortunately, it began to rain very hard, and we all quickly moved inside.

 photo 20140821030349_IMG_3725.jpgOur team was taken on a tour around the orphanage. The girls were so proud to show us their rooms and the thing that struck me the most was how similar the older girls were to American teenagers! They had posters on their walls of pop stars, as well as drawings and sayings. Of course, the conversations turned towards their favorite singers, and Rihanna and Shakira were at the tops of their list. Some girls even showed off their best moves to us, and we were impressed!
Speaking of dancing, my favorite part of the day was learning about a group of older girls who make up a dance team called "Girls Dream." They showed our team one of their routines, and let me tell you, Rihanna better watch out...she's got some stiff competition! But in all seriousness, it was great to see this group of young women channel their talents and aspirations into "Girls Dream" and use the gift of song and dance to fellowship and have some fun!

At last, we heard a big truck come up the path to the orphanage...the mattresses had arrived! The excitement was palatable for both the girls and us! The mattresses were loaded off the truck and working together with the girls at the orphanage, we were privileged to physically put fresh sheets on the new mattresses and hand deliver them to some of the girls' rooms. Watching the girls make their beds "just so" with their new blankets with such pride was quite emotional. To God be ALL the glory!

 photo 20140821034347_IMG_3757.jpg  photo 20140821040905_IMG_3769.jpg The rooms were prayed over and then it was time to go. There were many hugs exchanged and even some tears shed as we said our goodbyes.

The second orphanage we visited was smaller in size, but not in spirit! We had a wonderful time playing balloon games and sidewalk chalk with the children. We also had meaningful discussions with the orphanage director on how we can all make a difference in an orphan's life.

I would be remiss if I didn't share two final thoughts. First, I have grown to love and cherish the friendships I have made with my fellow team members. There has been much laughter, tears, life stories told and passions shared. I feel so grateful God has allowed me to serve alongside such amazing people.

Lastly, I am so very humbled by all of you back home who have prayed for us, encouraged us, supported us and loved on us this week. We have felt your prayers from many thousand miles away.

Philippians 1:3 "I thank my God every time I remember you."

Written by: Suzanne Ward


1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love!!!! I just shared your blog address with the Ethiopia team I led back in June; I know they will be as thrilled as I am to see these pictures and read how they excitedly received the new bedding! Praise God for all the great things He has done!

    ReplyDelete