Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Meet Suzanne Ward & Courtney Rowe

My name is Suzanne Ward and I am from Raleigh, NC (born and raised…that is a rarity in our parts!) My husband, Wes, and I have been married for 11 amazing years, and we have two children, our daughter Taylor (7) and our son, Will (4). They keep us on our toes and really are the coolest kids- we are blessed!  I work as a freelance public relations consultant and I am also very involved at our church, Grace Community, in the children's ministry program. I have had the pleasure of going on several mission trips through my church (to Mexico and Jamaica), but this will be my first time to Africa and my first time doing mission work in orphanages.

About two years ago, God placed the vulnerable of the world on my heart. It seemed like everything I was reading and through conversations I kept having, God was preparing my heart to step out of my comfort zone. I felt I was being called to serve in a way that would take me to a new level of dependence and trust in the Lord.  As a mom of two small children, I wasn't sure exactly what that would look like or what would be capable of, but I kept listening for God's voice and vision for my life. And here I am…headed to Africa this summer!

God has aroused compassion in me in recent years, and the decision to go to Africa has led me to a place where I have to trust God for support, for safety, and for success. I am humbled to go and love on the children of Ethiopia, and strongly feel that every child should have the opportunity to hear about Jesus and be shown His love.

The best part about me going to Africa is that Jesus is using ME! I am not the perfect Christian. I don't always know what to say or how to quote scripture at just the right time. And I sin. But He is still using me. And for that, I am grateful and humbled. I know my heart will never be the same.



 Hi! I am Courtney. Born and raised in the great state of North Carolina, child of God since the age of 13, wife to Ron for 14 years, and mom to three wonderful and crazy kids: Anna (9), Ryan (6), Leah (4). I have always wanted to go on some sort of mission trip but figured that wasn't really an option for me during this season of life with young children. And besides, I told God when it was time, I would go anywhere but Africa. Hahaha! So of course I was very surprised when I felt God calling to me go on this trip at this time to…Africa. I went to several people for council, hoping they would talk me out of it and tell me I was crazy, but instead they each were very encouraging and told me to GO! God has been so gracious to confirm over and over that it is His will for me to be on this trip to Ethiopia.
Prior to this happening, I couldn't have told you one thing about Ethiopia, its people, its poverty, or the orphan crisis there. I am learning so much about the richness of these people and their culture and am so excited to share the love of Christ with the precious children that we encounter there.  I have never been outside of the United States and am nervous about leaving home and my family for 10 days, but I am confident that God is going to do a great work and I am thankful He is allowing me to be a part of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment