Friday, August 22, 2014

Rich in History and Culture

 photo photo-31.jpgAfter a week of humbling work at the orphanages, our team was eager to embrace the culture of the people of Addis Ababa. As we rode in our trusty vans up Entoto mountain, around us were people preparing to feast and give thanks to God with their families and friends. Donkeys carried bags and packages full of produce, while goats and chickens were being purchased. At the top of the mountain was the location of Addis's very first church, as well as a museum that housed the most treasured items of previous emperors. I was delighted to hear more about the country in which I have prayed for in the months leading up to our trip. This experience gave me the desire to return as soon as God allows me to now that I have more knowledge of the city's background and culture.

 photo photo-32.jpg  photo image.jpg
 After our time at the church, we were told that we would be taken to a market where many vendors sold traditional Ethiopian items. Little did I know, we would be taken to a much deeper level of love and appreciation for this beautiful and simple life that almost seems to contradict itself. Watching my team run from makeshift hut to any sort of covering to escape the heavy rains, all I could think of was how happy people seem to be with so little. From somebody who proclaims to know the Lord so well, this convicted my heart to a desire to change the way I perceive the world from the comfort of my easy life back in North Carolina.
 photo photo-33.jpg
At the market, beautiful textiles were made on a simple sewing machine right beside where they were sold. We then drove to the "post office" where more souvenir-type items could be purchased. Our team had a great time searching for the perfect gifts to bring back to our family or something for our home that would remind us of the moving experience we shared. Our time in Addis was so impactful and we are very grateful for it.

Our day ended at a small pizza joint close to the post office. We all have loved the Ethiopian dinners we have had, we were excited to have a meal that touched closer to home. Our conversations all around the table varied from God-moving experiences during our week to the hilarious times we have had as a group just trying to figure it all out. Out of everything, I am struggling with the fact that tomorrow I will get on a plane and leave the children that have impacted my life so permanently. I can't wait to see what God does through this trip in the lives of the children we met with the help from all of the donors that made this life-changing journey possible.

Written by: Shannon Mathis

No comments:

Post a Comment